- 12 September, 2023
- 24,389 Views
Welcome to our article on how to make the perfect homemade strawberry shortcake with fresh whipped cream! Nothing says summer quite like this classic dessert, and we have the perfect recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth. Made with juicy, fresh strawberries and light, fluffy shortcake, this dessert is sure to be a crowd-pleaser at any gathering. Whether you're a seasoned baker or a beginner, this easy strawberry shortcake recipe will have you whipping up delicious desserts in no time. So let's get started!
Gathering the Ingredients
Making a delicious homemade strawberry shortcake is simple, requiring only a few key ingredients. For the shortcake base, you will need all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla extract. For the fresh whipped cream, gather heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract. And of course, to top it all off, fresh strawberries are a must-have.
If you don't have access to fresh strawberries, frozen strawberries can be used as a substitute. However, be sure to thaw them completely before use and adjust the sweetness accordingly. Additionally, if you are lactose intolerant or prefer a dairy-free shortcake, almond milk and coconut cream can be used as substitutes for milk and heavy cream.
Preparing the Shortcake Base
To make the perfect homemade strawberry shortcake, it all starts with the shortcake base. Follow these simple steps to achieve a fluffy and buttery shortcake that will make your taste buds dance.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Add in 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, cut into small cubes, and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Next, add in 2/3 cup of whole milk and stir until the dough just comes together. Be careful not to overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and gently knead it a few times until it holds its shape.
- Shape the dough into a 1-inch thick round and cut it into 6 equal wedges.
- Transfer the wedges to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before assembling your strawberry shortcake.
With this easy-to-follow recipe, you'll have a delicious shortcake base that's perfect for any summer gathering or special occasion.
Fresh Whipped Cream Preparation
One of the key elements in making homemade strawberry shortcake is the fresh whipped cream. While store-bought whipped cream can be used as an alternative, making it from scratch adds a special touch to the dessert.
To prepare the whipped cream, you will need:
Begin by chilling a mixing bowl and whisk in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes. Once chilled, add the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract to the bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat the mixture on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
Be careful not to overmix the whipped cream, as it can quickly turn into butter. Once the desired consistency is achieved, the fresh whipped cream is ready to use.
Note: For a fun twist, try adding a hint of lemon zest or a tablespoon of your favorite liquor to the whipped cream mixture.
Preparing the Fresh Strawberries
Before topping the delicious strawberry shortcake with fresh whipped cream, it's important to properly prepare the fresh strawberries. Here's how:
- Remove the stems from the strawberries and discard any that are soft or blemished
- Rinse the strawberries under cool running water and pat dry with a clean towel or paper towel
- Slice the strawberries into thin, even pieces
- For a sweeter taste, sprinkle the sliced strawberries with a tablespoon of granulated sugar and stir gently to coat. Let the strawberries sit for about 10-15 minutes to allow the sugar to dissolve and the flavors to meld together.
Once the strawberries are prepared, they are ready to be deliciously layered onto the freshly baked shortcake base with homemade whipped cream. Yum!
Assembling the Strawberry Shortcake
Once all the elements have been prepared, it's time to assemble the strawberry shortcake. Here's how to do it:
- Cut the shortcake base horizontally into two equal layers.
- Spread a generous amount of whipped cream over the bottom layer.
- Arrange sliced strawberries evenly over the whipped cream.
- Place the top layer of the shortcake base on the strawberries.
- Add another layer of whipped cream over the top layer of the shortcake.
- Garnish the top with a few sliced strawberries.
Voila! Your homemade strawberry shortcake with fresh whipped cream is now ready to be served and enjoyed.
Pro tip: For an extra touch of sweetness, drizzle some strawberry syrup over the whipped cream before adding the top layer of the shortcake.
Remember to refrigerate any leftover strawberry shortcake in an airtight container, where it can last for up to 2 days. However, it's unlikely there will be any leftovers!
Serving and Storing
Once your strawberry shortcake is assembled, it's best served immediately to ensure the shortcake stays crispy. Fresh whipped cream can start to soften and absorb into the cake if left too long, so it's important to enjoy your dessert as soon as possible after assembly.
If you do have leftovers, store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container. The whipped cream may start to separate or lose its fluffiness after a few hours, but it should still be safe to eat for a day or two.
Pair your strawberry shortcake with a refreshing beverage, like lemonade or iced tea, to truly embrace the summertime vibe.
Variations and Additions
While the classic strawberry shortcake recipe is undoubtedly delicious, there are many variations and additions that can be made to customize the dessert to your liking.
Feel free to experiment with incorporating other fresh fruits into the mix. Blueberries, raspberries, or sliced peaches can all make great additions to the strawberry shortcake.
Consider adding a splash of flavor to the whipped cream by mixing in vanilla extract or a drizzle of honey. You can also add a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg to the shortcake dough for a subtle spice flavor.
For a unique presentation, try layering the shortcake base with the whipped cream and fresh fruit in a trifle dish, rather than serving each individual slice separately.
While typically thought of as a sweet dessert, you can also experiment with adding a savory twist to the classic shortcake recipe. Try topping the shortcake with sliced avocado, bacon, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze for a unique take on this classic dessert.
Tips for Success
Follow these tips to ensure your strawberry shortcake with fresh whipped cream comes out perfect every time:
- Use fresh, high-quality ingredients, especially for the strawberries.
- Don't overwork the shortcake dough - mix it just until it comes together.
- For a fluffier texture, use cake flour instead of all-purpose flour.
- Chill the shortcake dough for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- When slicing the shortcake, use a serrated knife to prevent it from crumbling.
- Don't sweeten the whipped cream too much - it should complement the sweetness of the strawberries.
- For a fun twist, consider adding some lemon zest or almond extract to the shortcake dough.
By following these simple tips, you'll be sure to impress your guests with a delicious and easy strawberry shortcake.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding this delicious strawberry shortcake with fresh whipped cream recipe:
Can I use frozen strawberries instead of fresh ones?
While fresh strawberries are recommended for the best flavor and texture, you can use frozen strawberries as a substitute. Just make sure to thaw them first and drain any excess liquid before using them in the recipe.
Can I make the shortcake in advance?
Yes, you can make the shortcake in advance and store it in an airtight container for up to 2 days. However, it is best to assemble the shortcake with whipped cream and strawberries right before serving to prevent the shortcake from becoming soggy.
Can I use store-bought whipped cream instead of making it from scratch?
Yes, you can use store-bought whipped cream as a shortcut. However, homemade whipped cream has a fresher flavor and lighter texture than store-bought ones, which can contain stabilizers and other additives.
Can I use a different type of berry instead of strawberries?
Absolutely! This recipe is versatile and can be customized by using different types of berries such as raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries. You could even try using a combination of fruits for a unique flavor twist.
Can I make the shortcake gluten-free?
Yes, you can make the shortcake gluten-free by substituting the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. Just make sure to adjust the amount of liquid used in the recipe accordingly, as some gluten-free flour blends may absorb more liquid than regular flour.
Can I make the shortcake vegan-friendly?
Yes, you can make the shortcake vegan-friendly by using plant-based ingredients such as vegan butter and non-dairy milk. For the whipped cream, you can use coconut cream instead of heavy cream and sweeten it with agave nectar or another vegan sweetener.
Additional Serving Suggestions
Take your strawberry shortcake to the next level with these additional serving suggestions:
- Drizzle with chocolate: Melt some chocolate and drizzle it over the top of the shortcake before adding the whipped cream and strawberries.
- Add a twist: For a unique flavor, try adding a twist of lemon or lime zest to the whipped cream.
- Create a parfait: Layer shortcake, whipped cream, and strawberries in a glass to create a beautiful and delicious parfait.
- Make it a sundae: Crumble the shortcake into a bowl, top with whipped cream and strawberries, and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra decadent dessert.
- Grill the shortcake: For a fun twist, grill the shortcake slices for a few minutes on each side before layering with the whipped cream and strawberries.
Get creative and let your imagination run wild. With the delicious flavors of fresh strawberries and whipped cream, the possibilities are endless!
Strawberry shortcake with fresh whipped cream is the perfect dessert for any summer gathering. Its simplicity and deliciousness make it a crowd favorite. By following the step-by-step instructions provided in this article, you can easily make this homemade strawberry shortcake in no time.
Remember to gather the necessary ingredients - fresh strawberries and whipped cream - and feel free to experiment with different variations and additions to give your strawberry shortcake a unique twist.
Enjoying Your Strawberry Shortcake
When serving your strawberry shortcake, consider adding some fresh fruit or mint leaves as a garnish to enhance its presentation. It pairs perfectly with cold beverages such as lemonade or iced tea and is sure to impress your guests.
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days. Simply allow the shortcake to come to room temperature before serving.
We hope this article has helped you create the perfect strawberry shortcake with fresh whipped cream. Remember to follow our tips for success, avoid common pitfalls, and refer to our frequently asked questions section if you have any concerns.
Whether you're hosting a summer barbecue or simply craving something sweet, strawberry shortcake with fresh whipped cream is a dessert that is sure to satisfy. So what are you waiting for? Give our easy strawberry shortcake recipe a try and indulge in its deliciousness today!