- 09 December, 2023
- 21,913 Views
Welcome to our article on savory tomato and herb focaccia bread, a delicious and easy homemade bread recipe. This bread is bursting with fresh tomato and herb flavors, making it a perfect accompaniment to any meal or a standalone snack. Made with simple ingredients that are easily available, this bread is perfect for any level of home cook.
In this article, we will explore the essence of tomato focaccia bread, provide a list of ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and useful tips to make the perfect bread. We will also suggest serving and pairing ideas for this delicious focaccia bread and guide you on how to store and reheat leftovers. Let's get started!
The Essence of Tomato Focaccia Bread
Tomato focaccia bread is a flavorful and versatile bread that can be made with a variety of fresh tomatoes and herbs. The key to its unique taste is the use of ripe and juicy tomatoes that infuse the bread with their sweet and tangy flavors, complemented by a range of fragrant herbs.
There are several variations of tomato and herb bread, depending on the type of tomatoes and herbs used. For example, adding sun-dried tomatoes can add an extra burst of sweetness, while fresh basil or rosemary can lend an earthy and aromatic flavor.
Tomato focaccia bread can be enjoyed as a standalone appetizer, served warm with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt. It is also an excellent accompaniment to soups, salads, and pasta dishes, adding a rustic touch to any Italian-inspired meal. Additionally, it can be used as a base for sandwiches, topped with fresh veggies and a spread of your choice.
The Benefits of Fresh Tomatoes and Herbs
When making tomato focaccia bread, it is crucial to use fresh tomatoes and herbs to achieve the best possible taste. Fresh tomatoes have a vibrant and sweet flavor that complements the dough's yeasty and slightly salty taste, adding depth and complexity to the bread.
Similarly, using a mixture of fresh herbs like basil, rosemary, oregano, and thyme, can lend the bread a range of flavors that work together harmoniously. The herbs' distinct aromas and tastes infuse into the bread, making each bite a tantalizing experience.
To summarize, tomato focaccia bread is a delicious and easy homemade bread recipe that anyone can make in their kitchen. With a few simple ingredients and some guidance on techniques, you can have a flavorful and versatile bread that can take any meal to the next level.
Ingredients for Savory Tomato and Herb Focaccia Bread
To make this delightful homemade tomato and herb bread, you will need the following ingredients:
|Active dry yeast
|1 packet (2 ¼ teaspoons)
|1 ¼ cups
|1 ½ teaspoons
|Fresh tomatoes, chopped
|Fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, basil), chopped
|2 tablespoons of each
This savory tomato and herb focaccia bread recipe can be easily adjusted to include other herbs and spices, such as oregano, garlic, or red pepper flakes, depending on your preferences. You can also substitute gluten-free flour for a gluten-free version of the bread.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Making Savory Tomato and Herb Focaccia Bread
Making savory tomato and herb focaccia bread is a simple and satisfying process. With these step-by-step instructions, you'll have a warm, flavorful loaf in no time!
|Active dry yeast
|1 packet (2 1/4 tsp)
|2 medium, sliced
|1/4 cup, chopped (such as rosemary, thyme, basil)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, yeast, salt, and sugar. Mix until well combined.
- Stir in the olive oil and warm water, mixing until a shaggy dough forms.
- Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes on a floured surface until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and let it rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Grease an 8-inch baking pan with olive oil.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and transfer it to the greased baking pan. Press the dough to fit the pan evenly.
- Arrange the tomato slices and chopped herbs over the dough, gently pressing them in.
- Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise for another 15-20 minutes.
- Drizzle the top of the dough with olive oil and sprinkle with some extra salt and herbs, if desired.
- Bake the focaccia for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Enjoy your homemade savory tomato and herb focaccia bread warm or at room temperature. The fresh flavors of the herbs and tomatoes will make every bite truly irresistible!
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Savory Focaccia Bread
To ensure your savory tomato and herb focaccia bread turns out perfectly every time, here are some helpful tips:
- Use fresh ingredients: The flavor of the bread comes from the quality of the ingredients used, so make sure to use fresh tomatoes and herbs.
- Don't overwork the dough: Mix and knead the dough just enough to combine the ingredients and form a smooth ball. Overworking the dough can result in a tough and dense bread.
- Proof the dough properly: Allow the dough to rest and rise in a warm, draft-free area until it has doubled in size. This can take between 1 to 2 hours, depending on the temperature and humidity of the room.
- Brush with olive oil: Brushing the top of the bread with olive oil before baking will give it a golden and crispy crust.
- Experiment with toppings: Feel free to try different toppings such as olives, caramelized onions, or sun-dried tomatoes to customize the recipe to your liking.
- Store properly: To keep the bread fresh, store it in an airtight container or tightly wrapped in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 2 days. Alternatively, you can freeze the bread for up to 1 month and reheat it in the oven when ready to serve.
Remember, making bread is an art that requires patience and attention to detail. With practice, you'll be able to master the recipe and create a delicious focaccia bread that everyone will love!
Serving and Pairing Suggestions for Savory Tomato and Herb Focaccia Bread
Savory tomato and herb focaccia bread is a delicious appetizer or accompaniment to a meal. Here are some serving and pairing suggestions:
- Serve warm on its own or with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping.
- Pair with a charcuterie board featuring cured meats, cheeses, and olives.
- Make bruschetta by topping slices of the bread with diced tomatoes, garlic, and fresh basil.
- Use as a base for sandwiches and paninis. Try it with mozzarella, tomato, and basil for a Caprese-inspired sandwich.
- Serve alongside a bowl of tomato soup or minestrone for a comforting meal.
- Toast slices and use as croutons in a salad.
With its flavorful tomato and herb infused dough, there are endless possibilities for serving and pairing this delicious focaccia bread. Get creative and enjoy!
Storing and Reheating Savory Tomato and Herb Focaccia Bread
To keep your savory tomato and herb focaccia bread as fresh as possible, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or foil and store it in an airtight container. It can be kept at room temperature for up to 2 days, but for longer storage, it is best to freeze it.
|Wrap the bread tightly in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil. Label and date the package. Freeze for up to 2 months.
|Remove the bread from the freezer and let it thaw at room temperature for several hours. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Unwrap the bread and place it on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes until heated through. Alternatively, wrap the bread in foil and heat it in a 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes.
For best results, avoid reheating the bread in the microwave as it can make it rubbery and soggy.
Frequently Asked Questions about Savory Tomato and Herb Focaccia Bread
Here are some commonly asked questions about making savory tomato and herb focaccia bread:
Can I substitute dried herbs for fresh herbs?
Yes, but keep in mind that dried herbs are more potent than fresh herbs, so use them sparingly. A good rule of thumb is to use 1 teaspoon of dried herbs for every 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs called for in the recipe.
What can I use instead of tomatoes?
You can use sun-dried tomatoes or roasted red peppers for a different flavor profile. Alternatively, you can omit the tomatoes altogether and simply make herb focaccia bread.
Can I make this bread gluten-free?
Yes, you can use a gluten-free flour blend instead of all-purpose flour. Keep in mind that the texture of the bread may be slightly different and it may require more or less liquid depending on the blend you use.
Why did my focaccia bread turn out dense?
There are a few reasons why focaccia bread can turn out dense. One common reason is not allowing enough time for the dough to rise properly. Another reason is overworking the dough, which can cause it to become tough. Make sure to follow the recipe closely and allow the dough to rise until it has doubled in size before shaping and baking.
There you have it, the easy and delicious recipe for savory tomato and herb focaccia bread! This homemade bread is bursting with fresh flavor and is perfect for any occasion. Remember to use fresh tomatoes and herbs for maximum deliciousness.
We hope our tips and tricks have helped you make the perfect focaccia bread. Don't be afraid to get creative with different herbs and spices to add your own unique twist to this classic recipe.
We'd love to hear about your experience making this bread in the comments below. Share your tips, tricks, and feedback with the community. Now, go ahead and impress your friends and family with this mouthwatering bread!